In 1564, it is rumored that William Shakespeare was born on this day of the calendar. We do know he was baptized on the 26th. He died on this day in 1616. On the 400th anniversary of his supposed birth, another earth-shaking event occurred. You see, I was a first-year English teacher, and the local jr. college was sponsoring a lecture about Mr. Shakespeare to co-incide with his birth/death. Although I felt I knew all I needed to know about the bard, I suggested to my students that they might benefit from attending said (free) lecture. That sealed my personal fate, since then I had to attend to see if any of them did.
Well, none of them attended. But it was at this lecture, sponsored by the English department of the college, that stars were crossed and eventual love was first planted. Yes, it was here, in the homely confines of the local jr. high, I met my future husband.
So, April 23 is a Very Good Day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Isn't wonderful what gifts arise from English!!
ReplyDeleteAnd when people ask how we met, we sound so very refined. Then we tell them he was acting as an usher to get more points from the college English teacher...and I was only showing up because I talked myself into it.
ReplyDelete