Yesterday I mentioned to Dear Husband that I would like a "raised garden" to plant some veggies. We promptly found an old fuel oil container and brought it back to the shop. He has a wonderful tool that cuts right through 1/4" steel, so he cut it in half. Now there are two pieces about 5' by 2 1/2'. We cleaned them up by burning the residue inside and steel brushing the outside. I spent two or three hours painting the outsides so they would reflect the sun and not overheat the plants.
A friend of his had some topsoil that he had prepared, and he gave it to us. Well, I think there may be an exchange of a vise for soil, but you get my drift. So, tomorrow we will put the gardens in a sunny spot and fill them with dirt. By this weekend the weather is supposed to be warmer, so I can plant my 3 bean seeds, my radishes, my onion sets, and some heritage lettuce seeds I got free at the library after their "garden day". With the topsy-turvy tomato planter that I got for Mother's Day, we'll be in business! (I think I may plant a cucumber in it, since I like cucumbers better than tomatoes.) Here's to home-grown veggies!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Sounds like a great salad to me. Wishing you good luck with your raised container garden.
ReplyDeletesounds like the beginnings of some good eating...and maybe a good "sun tan"???? LOL..hugs...Ora
ReplyDeleteOh, Ora....never any tan for me.
ReplyDeleteOnions are getting green tops; radishes are up; cucumber in upside-down thingy is thriving; we need rain!
ReplyDelete