Perhaps you received one of the above mentioned. Most of us didn't.
It involves reading classics, discussing them in depth, having a mentor who knows you, cares about you, and has been through or is going through this same type of education.
It is the antithesis of a "conveyor belt" education.
Instead of being expected to reach the same plateau as every other child of your age at the same time, it revolves around independent development.
It expects each person to acquire an actual love of learning, because he/she is learning stuff he/she is interested in.
Of course, the student will run across many ideas, some of which are foreign to him and which he will need to investigate further.
That's the basic plan, if there is one, for this type of education.
The family is paramount, serving as the base and springboard for the child's intellectual and spiritual growth.
Families who read their core book, frequently The Bible, aloud and often, give their children a start along the way of developing in this fashion.
Shakespeare is also a good basis, because of the many characters and ideas presented.
The goal is not "home schooling", but "leadership education".
Hopefully the child will find his own mission in life and develop himself to pursue it.
In the process, he is learning not just facts, but trends and theories that will help him understand how to live and thrive in the world of the future.
It is expected that children educated in this way will become, not just citizens, but leaders.
I really would like to further this kind of education.
It will not be easy.
The seminar speaker suggested reading classics at least an hour a day and interacting with like-minded folks.
There are, of course, online courses that can be purchased, as well as Great Books.
Right now I'm committed to spreading the word and reading.
I hope the mentoring/discussing will come as I focus on this endeavor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think that is outstanding! If I may relate as story along similar lines - having read and studied the Bible for many years and having taught adult bible studies I was always interested in other churches and their studies and attended quite a few. But it was always the same - all done in two hours at the most. Imagine studying, for example, Jeremiah chapters 6 & 7 in 2 hours! Then one Saturday morning I went to a Jewish synagogue where they had as Torah study. That morning they started in Genesis chapter 30. At verse 1. Two and a half hours later we were on verse 3! I was stunned, breathless and amazed.
ReplyDeleteI would consider that "in depth"!
ReplyDelete