Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Music?

What is your opinion concerning music education in the elementary school?
Should the teachers focus on the 3 R's and let music come to kids at a later time?
Can music be considered an asset for young ones?
Is it just one of "those courses" principals throw in to give their staff a break?
Is it too expensive?
Is not enough attention given to the arts, of which music is one?
In these days of budget cuts and soul-searching, how would you rate music?

1 comment:

  1. We homeschool, so...

    I believe music is very helpful in learning and memorizing. I personally don't see a need for much beyond that in early elementary. Upper elementary, some music theory lessons and instrument lessons are wonderful, but I'm not sure the school needs to be providing those. Seems like something more for the parents to pursue, or the child as they grow old enough to do it on their own.

    We surround our children with music in our home. It's just natural for us.

    ReplyDelete