Saturday, January 17, 2009

When it's a Memorial....

I went to her memorial service today. It was really a celebration of her life, with her two children opening the service singing "I'll Fly Away". So brave of them, and so well done. There were many familiar hymns and scripture passages, interspersed by comments from the pastor and friends.
What does one do about the tears? I wasn't sad. But they came anyway. For me, the music sets me off. We sang "In the Garden", which was my Dad's favorite hymn which took me back to his celebration of life which reminded me that Mom is now with him which reminded me that they are not where I can see them...or worry about them...any more. Thank you, Jesus!
So, why am I crying/weeping/feeling the tears slide down my face? My kleenexes are soggy; thank goodness someone anticpated such a situation and left several boxes around the sanctuary.
Shaking hands with the children, whom I had never met, was strange...and comforting. They appear to be good children of their mother.
And life goes on.

3 comments:

  1. yes for me it is the music...because it seems each song reminds me of a loved one or person who has passed on...but I have always felt that tears are a release...sometimes joy...sometimes pain...sometimes just to let the body relax...and as you say...life goes on...God Bless..hugs...Ora

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tears are watering the garden of your memories. Life does indeed go on but we should all spend time regularly in the garden of our memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our life is a garden and in the garden there is new life and old life lives that are beginning and ending. Up days and down days filled with tears and or lafter. Without the tears our gardens would be dry. Without the lafter our lives would be boring.
    Love you Mom.
    yc

    ReplyDelete