Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Who's on first?

Me: "Hi. (background diner noise) Can you go to the grocery or dollar store and get me a nine by thirteen disposable baking pan? I need to take a cake to the meeting tonight."

Him: "HI. I hate mornings.....What?"

Me: "Can you get me a throwaway cake pan? 9x13?"

Him: "A what?"

Me: "A disposable cake pan."

Him: "Where would I get one?"

Me: "At the Big M. Or the Dollar Store."

Him: "Okay, I'm getting out a pen.....How big?"

Me: "13 x 9"

Him: "13 x 9. OK."

Me: "Thanks. Love you."

Him: "Love you too."

Twenty minutes later. Ring. Ring. Riiinnngggg.

Me: "Hello"

Him: "Hi. They say I can get one at the Dollar Store. Or at the Big M."

Me: "Sounds good." (smothering urge to say "I said that.")

Him: "Ok. Aluminum throwaway pan, right?"

Me: "Right."

Him: "Okay. Bye."

Me: "Okay. Bye."

Thirty minutes later.

Ring. Ringg. Ringgggg.

Me: "Good Morning."

Him: "Okay, I'm looking at these. There's one 11 3/4" by 7 5/16"........And there's one 8 1/4" by 11 7/8"........Which one.......oh, here's one 13" x 9"........ummm.....you want permanent or temporary?"

Me: "Disposable. 9" x 13"

Him: "It's.....oh, that one's throwaway.....that's what you want, right?"

Me: "Yes."

Him: "There's two of them in there. How many do we want?"

Me: "I can use whatever you get, eventually. The future keeps catching up with us."

Him: "So, we need to spend 8 more dollars here so I can get 20c off a gallon of gas.......Let's see. $3.39. That would be, like........get three of them?"

Me: "Yeah. Get three of them. I can always use them."

Him: "Okay. Got it. See you later. Bye."

Me: "Bye."

Sigh of relief. . . . Uncontrollable laughter.

Is this 1/genetic? 2/gender-related? 3/A personal problem??


45 minutes later.

Me: "Did you get some?"

Him: "Yeah. Are they what you wanted? The lady there......."

Me: "Oh, yes!......And with covers, too! I didn't even ask for covers!"

Him: "Yeah!!"

Me: "You are soo good! Thank you so much."

And the hero marches heroically into the west, secure in the knowledge that he has once again Solved The Problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment