Wednesday, March 31, 2010

"Old Order"

Black hats. Black dresses. Black buggies. Beards. Bonnets. Horses.
No electric wires to the house. Clotheslines. Black clothes flapping in the wind.
Simple, quiet, family-oriented folks.
Hard work. Home churches. We have a number of Amish families in our rural area. They are keep to themselves, but they attend local auctions looking for bargains. And they set up sales stations, selling homemade baked goods and baskets. When a family needs a new barn, they are there in droves. Many buggies, more men, women preparing the food to feed the crews. I can't imagine getting up before dawn to hitch up the horse and buggy to travel hours to go shopping. My grandma did it; I've gotten spoiled with "modern-day" conveniences...like cars and electricity and facebook. But, who's to say whose life is more serene?

2 comments:

  1. The concept is pleasant and to me, it sounds wonderful, but we've been spoiled with everything that we/I have. Could I let it all go?...Nope but I like the idea of simpler living.
    Have a wonderful day.

    tootles,
    bunny

    ReplyDelete
  2. simple is good...yes we are spoild! less is always better...

    ReplyDelete