Monday, March 22, 2010

Sweet Sixteen

Ah, yes, I remember it well.
My grandma had reminisced on her young life and the fact that she was "sweet sixteen and never been kissed".
I vowed to be able to make the same commitment, even though I was sure that living in the 1950's would make this non-event more difficult to achieve than it was in the early 1900's.
I'm not sure that it was, but I did achieve my goal, despite the side-tracking of a surprise 15th birthday party and playing "Post Office".
The guy who was to collect a kiss from me, I'm sure, was not gratified in any way.
My lips were sealed and my mind was on other things.
I didn't "count" that one; I doubt that he did either!
Of course, as soon as I arrived at the number 16, I expected beaus to be lining up on the front steps.
I was also disappointed.
I think I was 16 years and some months before being properly "kissed".
My greatest memory of that event was chocolate ice cream, which the "kissee" had consumed before "The Kiss".

1 comment:

  1. First grade...me and the neighbor kids were throwing kids up in the air using a blanket, when all of a sudden my friend pushed me and buddy under the blanket and all the kids ran. He kissed me and I thought it was disgusting...

    I like your story better. Have a good one.

    tootles,
    bunny

    ReplyDelete