Monday, March 1, 2010

Definition, Please

I got on the elevator to go back to the parking garage to get my husband's book so he could entertain himself while waiting for his surgical pre-op.
It's a regular elevator; I'd just gotten off it a few minutes earlier.
This time I was all alone.
Now, you have to understand that I was brought up on a farm back in the day when elevators were not a regular part of life.
So, my personal relationship with elevators is not large nor intimate.
Nevertheless, I have been on a number of different elevators in my time, and I always managed to come out on top....or the bottom...wherever I was planning to come out.
This time, however....
Well, I'm needing you to identify the situation according to current terminology and psychological thought.
As I said, I got on the elevator.
No problem.
The door closed.
No problem.
It was at "6", and I wanted to go to "9".
Would you believe I punched that "9" over and over again...and the number over the door still stayed at "6"?
Would you believe I did it again?
And again?
Would you think my brain is addled or my age has finally caught up with me or the spirits of the elevator were against me?
Would you please try to define for me what occurred in that irritating space of time between my furious punching and my final light-bulb moment when I lightly touched the round white button BESIDE the "9"?
I'm counting on your objective thoughts!!

7 comments:

  1. I was going to suggest standing on your head to make the 6 become a 9 but since you found the button (!) there seems no need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need to explain...you are in the same boat as alot of other folks...including me...LOL..it is the same technology as atm machines...why aren't they all calibrated to do the same thing in a timely manner...THE SAME WAY!!!??? or those little machines at the check out counters for credit cards etc...make them all the same...why different...??? duh??? I guess it is to keep us folks on our toes...so we don't get bored with life??? works for me!!!! LOL..God Bless...hugs...Ora

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS...how is the big guy...????? doing!!! I sure hope he is doing well and ok!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's "doing"....and will have surgery next Monday to replace the DCS.
    And thanks for the empathy, regarding technology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's like when I got home from the shop a few days ago. I was putting groceries away...and couldn't find a packet of rice I knew I bought...

    I found it yesterday in the cats' food cupboard.

    Small mercy it wasn't in the washing machine I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've found myself standing in an elevator on more than a few occasions, wondering if its ever going to go. Then i realize i havent pushed the button. So spoiled and used to hubby or someone else doing it and forgetting that i'm alone.

    ReplyDelete