Monday, May 25, 2009

In Memoriam

The veteran whose passing hit me most squarely between the eyes was our best man, Rich. After serving as his best friend's best man, he went back to college in Florida. Then, somehow, he became a member of the United States Army. He was sent to Viet Nam and had been there only a few weeks before he stepped on a land mine.
It was the first time our marriage had received such a blow.
My young husband, who was in the Air Force himself at the time, was devastated. He went to the funeral alone. I really didn't know the fellow or his family, and I was working. All excuses I used to avoid the inevitable. I'm still not sure if I could have been a better support by being there, but I think it was a good time for the family and best friend to console each other.
So, this Memorial Day,I salute you, Rich, and all the hundreds of thousands of other young men and women who died so that I can be free.
Pax vobiscum.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing this beautiful story..and today it means so much to us. who are free because of his offering...I know the memory of his dying is sad...but the blessing of what he was to you, your husband, and your marriage...a blessing for sure!!! hugs...Ora

    ReplyDelete