Friday, May 22, 2009

Remembering...

Memorial Day was always a parade or two, from the time I was aware. When I was in band, we had to march, so we frantically practiced the "Star-Spangled Banner" for a couple weeks before....as well as trying to get our feet working the same way they were supposed to. Once I even got to play "Taps" at the cemetery.
That was an honor and a privilege. I think I got to do it because somebody was sick...but, hey....
After the parade, we would go back to Grandma's for a big dinner. My uncle had the foresight to be born on May 30, so it was family-wide celebration time for all the May birthdays. Since that included me, it was really special.
The main thing about this dinner is that it was the FIRST WATERMELON of the season! Yeah, back then we did not have year-round fruit. Oranges at Christmas from Uncle Clarence in Florida, and Watermelon in May for Uncle Jr's birthday. That is the natural scheme of things. :-)

1 comment:

  1. sounds like a time when I would have enjoyed being around you and the family...I love a parade...and I think you are pretty special too...(and Ray too...but don't say anything..LOL) hugs...Ora

    ReplyDelete