Thursday, February 12, 2009

LIFTED

When I started this blogging deal, nobody gave me a set of rules and regulations. So, I hope it's ok to "borrow" material from other sources.

This blog is "borrowed" from my daily calendar "Classic Dave Barry" for February 12. The title is 'Ask Mister Language Person'.
Q. I am a medical doctor, and when I am around laypersons, I use the word "infarction" as often as possible. For example, if a patient comes in with an ingrown toenail, I'll examine it with a serious facial expression, which I learned in medical school, then I'll say: "I'm afraid you have an infarction." Or: "This is seriously infarcted." Then I'll go into the hall and laugh until I have boogers on my stethoscope. My question is: How come they're called "laypersons"?
A. We have often wondered that ourselves.

And so have I....wondered that, I mean. I don't have a stethoscope.

3 comments:

  1. Lay originates from the word "laicus" in Latin, which comes from Greek "laos" (people). It means a person who is not a cleric (member of the clergy).

    In a more contemporary meaning, a person who's not an expert, or not familiar enough with a given subject, is a lay person to that particular subject.

    We're all lay people to most subjects, and some of us even are experts in a few areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I don't have any "laughing bones" tonight ....cause I didn't think that was funny...and yes I am a lay person...or so I am told LOL...opps there is my funny bone!!! and you can use any material you want...just give credit where credit is due .... God Bless...hugs...Ora

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS...do you ever wonder where or who finds all those crazy "identify" words scrambles??? I do...crazy crazy!!! LOL...hugs...Ora

    ReplyDelete