I visited a friend yesterday. She lives in one of those apartment buildings where you punch her number and then speak with her on the speaker phone. She didn't recognize me or my voice or whatever, at first. Finally, she pushed the button to allow me entrance to the facility, and she was standing outside her door when I came down her hall.
She hasn't changed in the years since I'd seen her. Still the pristine white hair; the almond-shaped eyes; no glasses. She had a book, hard cover, on her desk, as well as the newspaper. Obviously still in touch with the world around her and the world of ideas.
She asked about mutual friends, and I was able to fill her in about some of their activities or addresses. She mentioned her son, who usually stops in every month or so, but "he's in Florida now for the winter". Her daughter still lives in "the City". That's New York City, where she worked and has friends and activities, many more than she could find in Watertown.
I asked if she liked "homemade applesauce", and her eyes brightened. "I get Meals on Wheels, you know. It's okay....." I asked if she had any dietary restrictions, and she said "No." So the next time I go, you can guess what I'm taking her!
She will have a birthday "the end of the month". When I asked the date, she said, "The 30th. It's the end of the month." Well, yeah.....guess that's right!
She will be 101.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment