Saturday, July 31, 2010

"1776"

I attended the first-ever performance of the North Country Players. They chose the musical play "1776" as their initial event, and it was well worth the price. Seeing so many men on stage was a blessing, since musical theatre seems to be more interesting to women for some reason. The actors and singers presented their historical characters well, showing foibles and frustrations as well as high moments in their lives. John Adams appeared to be a definite "A-Personality", as he tried to convince his peers of the importance of complete independence from Great Britain. The doubts and fears of the colonists were portrayed most clearly in the person of the South Carolina representative. The argument about slavery was the climax of the show, and Ben Franklin's diplomacy was seen as a necessary foil to the actual agreement. Thomas Jefferson's writing was impeded until he had opportunity to reunite with his lovely wife. A friend who attended with me was upset with the use of God's name in vain and said, "I don't think the fathers of our country talked like that." I'm not sure if they did or not, but as I told her, it was a men's group and tensions were running high. It was an educational and enjoyable evening.

3 comments:

  1. Photos from last night http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30770458&id=1411360343&fbid=1341647347189

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post - but I was sure you would have gone to Chelsea's wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was much more educational....and easier to access!

    ReplyDelete