Sunday, October 18, 2009

The End of An Era

I received word Friday that a mentor and good friend went to be with the Lord. "Coach" George Wells had been the athletic director at Houghton College for many years. However, my relationship with him stretched even longer than that. When I was a teenager, our local church sponsored a college revival team called "Youth In One Accord". As a result of their visit, I decided to attend Houghton. After being there for two years, I learned that YOA was holding auditions for a new alto. I was sure I wouldn't make it, but I went ahead and tried out. I traveled for two school years with the "team", and I learned many valuable lessons and deepened my spiritual life greatly. "Coach" was the faculty advisor for YOA and he was one of the founders. In fact, it had started from a revival on campus that also changed his life. The team's ministry spanned decades. The team dissipated after Coach's retirement for physical reasons.
There will be many former team members at his funeral next Tuesday. We all owe him, and our Lord, a huge debt of gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment