Wednesday, January 18, 2012

That Day

Ah, yes. I remember it well.

I called the pastor's wife to ask if son could spend the night at their house after school.
I picked up my "ready-to-go" bag.
I called my husband to let him know where he could find me.
I stopped at the doctor's office, since my water had broken.
I drove to the small community hospital and checked myself in.
And I waited for Baby #2 to be born.

K-9 trooper husband had an appointment to speak at a PTA meeting.
He asked if he should cancel, but there was no expectation that he would be needed here, so he went.

At 10:04 pm, our little girl made her appearance.
When I saw her, I thought there was some mistake.
She had black hair and dark eyebrows and eyelashes.
Her brother was so fair; I had assumed "all" my babies would look the same.
Silly me.

Her father made his appearance at 10:05.
It was a long meeting and lots of questions.

We had no names picked out.
Since I had named her brother, I told husband he should name the little girl.
He suggested "Jo", after an older lady in his college class.
I remonstrated that "Jo" was too short, so he suggested "JoLee".
I liked that!
So, her name is "JoLee Raye" ("Raye with an e because she's a girl")--Ray for her father and Lee for her mother. She can't get away from us.

Happy Birthday to our little, all-growed-up-and-still-spontaneous, daughter!

No comments:

Post a Comment